Monday, August 5, 2013

KGB (Killer Gourmet Burgers), Bangsar

Located at the busy street of Jalan Telawi 2, Bangsar, a fair amount of crowd was drawn into this newly set up burger joint on a Wednesday night. Let's see how their burgers and fries measure up to the foodies' expectations.





Signature stamp on their burgers


The Shack (RM12.90)- Smashed patty, sharp cheddar, shack sauce

The foodies liked the juicy and slightly loose texture of the patty, but was rather let down by the salty taste. If you know me well, I can't take beef due to religious issues. Let's read about Spicysharon's review on this: The only smashed patty in KGB, this was a lovely classic. Dribbled with a concoction of mayo, mustard, ketchup and spice - the shack sauce they call it, gave an extra oomph to the burger. I thought the beef patty was a little course and seasoned too salty though.


             

The Bash (RM18.90)- Grilled patty, beef bacon relish, Provolone cheese, caramelized onions, cornflakes

Spicysharon says: This burger is a terrific example of letting ingredients speak for themselves. The grilled beef was cooked medium and had a great course texture. Having relish and caramelized onions as condiments, made the burger a little sweet and tangy overall but certainly interesting and delicious. It'd probably didn't need the extra rash of bacon in it - I couldn't taste much of it anyway. One of my friends thought the combination to be a tad too unusual nonetheless - individual preference I suppose.



 
Bella Bomb (RM21.90)- Grilled patty, 2x PortobelloCheese bomb, shack sauce

Spicysharon says: Stacked high, the presentation was appetizing at hindsight already - grilled beef patty stacked underneath a portobello cheese mushroom and topped with drizzle of shack sauce. The patty was nicely charred on the outside and pink on the inside; the portobello mushroom was not drenched in oil - a definite plus in my books.

Kickin (RM15.90)- Parm crusted chicken, sharp cheddar, wasabi mayo
Pardon me with the lack of pictures here. Let's go on with my reivew on this shall we? Chicken breast meat coated with thin layer of parm crust, deep fried till golden perfection while retaining juices inside. I was delighted that the breast meat is not dry at all, boasting succulent texture that provides a wholesome experience. The wasabi mayo here is done by mixing wasabi powder and mayo. I have to say the sauce complements everything well. At first it taste like just normal mayo with very slight hint of wasabi, but the spiciness slowly hits your senses as you eat along, to the point that it has slighttt burning feel when the mayo touches the lips. But it was not overwhelming until one has to wipe off tears from the spicy sensation.
On the downside, the buns are rather heavily buttered and slight greasy on the surface due to the hot grill used to imprint the brand on the buns. There is a strong butter fragrance which some people may like it but I prefer a thinner spread to let the patty and sauces flavor stand out more.




Seoul (RM15.90)- Parm crusted chicken, fried egg, kimchi mayo, kimchi

As usual, the favourable juicy chicken scores most the points here coupled with interesting addition of kimchi. Given that I’m a fan of kimchi, I was looking forward to enjoy this combination. As the egg yolk was runny in the centre, the base bun has soaked up all the yolk to the point that it became soggy. I personally prefer a more spicy and sour/pungent kimchi but it was alright here as ingredients are meant to complement with each other rather than letting one overpower other else. I can’t really taste the heavy presence of kimchi mayo, perhaps already covered by the runny egg yolk.

Buns were soft but lacked thickness as they already pressed the buns using hot grill. Still, the bigger issue here is the butter spread on buns.



For the normal fries, I find them too dry for my liking. A very small portion was overfried too. I prefer a more potato-ey centre, but the version here is more to crispy type.

Herbed Fries- rosemary did not contribute much fragrance to the fries. Probably they can grind it using pestle and mortar for few seconds to bring out the natural fragrance even further.

Spicy Cajun Fries- The Cajun powder is not something that I fancy as it resembles taste of medicine (those powder inside pills), but that’s just me. I was expecting some cayenne powder sprinkled on top to contribute ‘spicy’ taste as the menu suggested but there was no spicy sensation here. It was rather salty as well, but for me the level is tolerable.


Kimchi w/ Bulgogi Beef Fries (RM13.90)

Colourful isn’t it? =D Essentially contains fries topped with kimchi, bulgogi beef slices, melted cheese and dollop of sour cream. By mixing everything together, it created a harmony that complements well with each other (except with beef I can’t comment on that). Again, I prefer a more sour and spicy kimchi but this is not a Korean restaurant afterall ;) The dryness of fries is not an issue here as the toppings made up for it.

Shortrib Poutine (RM13.90)

Spicysharon says: My favourite has got to be the kimchi fries - I was surprised that it was not as tangy as I thought it would be and the beef was oh-so-juicy - it was simply one of it's kind. My miss: The cajun fries and shortribs poutine - which didn't look and tasted anything like poutine. Nice hot chips though.


KGB (Killer Gourmet Burgers)

23, Jalan Telawi 2,
Bangsar Baru,
59100 KL


(Conveniently located right next to Bangsr Village 2)


Business hours

Mon: 17:00 - 22:30

Wed - Thu: 17:00 - 22:30
Fri - Sun: 12:00 - 15:00, 18:00 - 22:30

Contact Number
03-2201 1220

Facebook page: KGB Bangsar




No comments: